On social media last week, ACTE asked,
How are you are taking care of yourself during the COVID-19 pandemic?
We heard from career and technical education (CTE) teachers and administrators representing a range of subject areas — including from family and consumer sciences, business education, engineering and design, agricultural education and more.
Here’s what CTE had to say about self-care:
- Establish time off at home. Step away from the computer each hour for little brain breaks during the day.
- Communicate when you are feeling overwhelmed; don’t bottle it up! Ask others — your peers and your leaders — for assistance when you need it.
- Dress up each day.
- Follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines and precautions, such as wearing masks and gloves, washing your hands, practicing social distancing and limiting public outings to primarily work and grocery shopping.
- Spend quality time with your family.
- Play a board game.
- Remove notifications from your cell phone.
- Read, or journal.
- Cook a favorite meal.
- Eat more vegetables.
- Drink lots of water.
- Get enough sleep.
- Exercise! Take walks and enjoy the fresh air. Play ping pong. Ride bikes. Bring a yoga mat and free weights to school to stretch and pump iron on breaks.