Counseling and Career Development Division
Counseling and Career Development in a Time of Uncertainty
The Association for Career and Technical Education and the American School Counseling Association have joined forces to host a live event featuring a panel of experts focused on the current state of counseling, career development and SEL. While no one has all the answers, we will share what we know, take questions, and are eager to learn from other participants about your promising practices in the era of COVID-19.
To accomplish this mission, the following goals have been established:
- Collaborate with other professional education groups to maintain and advance a strong voice for the full implementation of comprehensive counseling programs and the work of career development personnel
- Disseminate CTE information to school counselors, career development personnel and other guidance professionals
- Inform CTE professionals about the goals and outcomes of fully implemented comprehensive counseling programs
- Provide for the professional growth of all Division members
- Provide for the annual recognition of school counselors, career development personnel and other guidance professionals, and for programs that support the mission of the Counseling and Career Development Division
- Develop and maintain high professional standards among the membership
- Develop better understanding and appreciation among all educators of comprehensive counseling programs and the work of career development personnel
- Serve as a clearinghouse for the dissemination of information about counseling and career development best practices, policy, research and theory
- Inform members of the Counseling and Career Devleopment Division avout trends policies and current activies in the field
- Promote legislation at the state and federal level that benefits career and technical education, comprehensive counseling programs and the work of career development personnel
- Promote research and counselor training programs that inform the field of counseling and career development
- Support and encourage all aspects of comprehensive counseling programs, including individual work with students, and collaboration with administrators, counselors, teachers and other educators, parents and community sponsors.
Counseling and Career Development professionals are more than educators and counselors, they impact many facets of a student’s campus life and career choices. Our roles are broad and diverse, but our purpose is universal to guide students’ academic, behavioral and social growth. There are thousands of CCD professionals serving millions of students in hundreds of ways.
Celebrating CTE Month
Baldwin County High School in Bay Minette, Alabama kicked off Career and Technical Education Month with a Bull Riding event sponsored by FFA and the Agriscience Department. David Garrett is the Agriscience instructor and FFA sponsor. Mr. Garrett and Mrs. Cherrie Wiggins, Business teacher at BCHS worked with the entire CTE staff to create activities for everyday in February. Baldwin County High School is one of seven high schools in Baldwin County Alabama. All high schools, middle schools and our two career centers are promoting CTE Month with activities and events. We are Baldwin County Proud!!
Because of the overarching nature of the Counseling and Career Development Division, the Division aligns with all 16 of the career clusters:
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources
- Architecture and Construction
- Arts, A/V Technology and Communications
- Business, Management & Administration
- Education & Training
- Government and Public Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Law, Public Safety and Security
- Marketing, Sales & Service
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Transportation, Distribution and Logistics
Counseling and Career Development Division Resource Center
Counseling and Career Development Division Resources
A Salute to Dr. Norm Gysbers
- U.S. Army Education Program Guide
- Resources from the U.S. Army Recruiting Command
- National Center for Women and Information Technology: NCWIT provides a wide range of free, attractive, easy-to-use multimedia resources that support policy reform in K-12 computing education, improve the visibility of women in computing, encourage high school girls to pursue a computing career, shine a spotlight on the successes of entrepreneurial women, and more.
- Counseling and Career Development Issue Brief