Alaska Association for
Alaska ACTE Advocates for CTE at House Education Committee
On April 7, 2021, the Alaska House Education Committee hosted a meeting on “reports from the field” regarding Career and Technical Education around the state. Alaska ACTE was one of several presenters and had the opportunity to share about the association and how it supports CTE through leadership and helping to align education and industry to develop Alaska’s workforce. Partners of Alaska ACTE who also presented were:
- Doug Walrath – Northwestern Alaska Career and Technical Center (NACTEC)
- Deb Riddle and Brad Billings – Department of Education & Early Development – CTE
- Zach Stenson – Bristol Bay Regional Career and Technical Education
- Matt Widaman – Kenai Peninsula Borough School District
- Colin Stewart – Lower Kuskokwim School District
- Joni Simpson – Fairbanks North Star Borough School District
- Cathy LeCompte – Alaska Vocation Technical Center (AVTEC)
You may access a recording of the hearing on AKLeg website and download a PDF copy of the presentations in two parts here and here.
Advocacy is important to our organization. During our 2019 Conference we passed the following resolutions:
Resolution 2019-1 – Passed
Alaska ACTE supports the reauthorization of the TVEP program for at least five years and requests the Alaska legislature continue funding this essential program. Read the full resolution here.
Resolution 2019-2 – Passed
Alaska ACTE supports HB 155 and requests the Alaska legislature to pass legislation that will provide avenues for students to incorporate CTE courses in their APS application. Read the full resolution here.