Region III Operating Policies
- The name of this organization shall be Region III of the Association for Career & Technical Education. (ACTE).
To strengthen state associations.
To implement the ACTE Strategic Plan.
To maintain high professional standards and promote open communication within Region III.
- To promote the interests of the region with the framework of ACTE
- To provide a better understanding of the regional concept of ACTE.
- To promote open communication with Region III.
- To encourage cooperation among vocational agencies, organizations, and institutions within Region III.
- To encourage active member participation in activities of the Association.
- To encourage all persons directly or indirectly involved in vocational education to become Association members.
- To provide a liaison between the Region and the State Association members.
- To provide state associations a direct vehicle for input to the ACTE Board.
- To promote/provide professional development activities for members within the Region.
- Membership within Region III shall include persons who are members of ACTE and the affiliated state association which include Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin.
- Vice President
- Duties: The Regional Vice President shall represent the Region on the Board of Directors of ACTE, in accordance with the ACTE Bylaws and will serve as chairman of the Region's Policy Committee. The Vice President will be responsible for implementing the purposes of the ACTE and the Region. The Vice President will orient new Policy Committee members as to their duties and responsibilities and transmit action of previous meetings.
- Term of Office: The Vice President shall serve a three year term. In the vent of a vacancy, the Region III Policy Committee shall make a recommendation for the appointment to the ACTE Board of Directors. The AVA Board of Directors is empowered to fill said office until the procedures in the ACTE bylaws can be followed to elect a Vice President for the unexpired term.
- Must have shown interest in ACTE through sustained membership.
- Must have demonstrated active leadership in a state association.
- Must have time available to devote to the performance of the duties of the Vice President.
- Must have an in-depth understanding of vocational education and be committed to the total ACTE program.
- Must have an understanding of the role of state and territorial associations in relationship to ACTE.
- Must document local administrative support.
- Process of Nomination: When Region III is eligible to elect a Vice President, the current Vice President shall seek nominations from the State Associations in the Region and from individual members of the Region. The Vice President shall ask the state association presidents, through their publications, to notify members that nominations are being received. The Vice President, with the approval of the Policy Committee, shall appoint a Search and Nominating Committee. The Search and Nominating Committee shall consist of at least nine members, three of whom are on the Region III Policy Committee. The Search and Nominating Committee shall consist of at least one member from each state in the Region. The Chairman of the Search and Nominating Committee will be appointed by the Nominating Committee. In no case shall a person who is a candidate for office be a member of the Search and Nominating Committee. The Search and Nominating Committee shall report the names of the candidates to the Region III Vice President at least twenty-four hours before the Region III Annual Business Meeting. The Search and Nominating Committee should recommend no less than two nominees for Vice President. Additional nominations may be made from the floor during the Region III Business Meeting, providing such nominees have been interviewed by the Regional Nominating Committee and are approved by the majority
- Reporting of Regional Activities
- It shall be the responsibility of the Vice President to submit reports/minutes of the Policy Committee meetings and other activities within the Region on a continuing basis to the Executive Director of ACTE.
- It shall be the responsibility of each Policy Committee member to regularly communicate with State Association members through official state publications and by other means.
- The Policy Committee secretary shall keep accurate minutes of all Policy Committee meetings and forward them to the Region Vice President within three weeks of the meeting. The Region Vice President will distribute to the Policy Committee members.
A. Policy Committee
- Purposes: The purpose of the Policy Committee is to establish the general policies for the Region and to carry out the general purposes of ACTE and Region III.
- Meetings: The Policy Committee will hold an annual meeting at the time of the ACTE convention and scheduled meeting(s) to be called by the Vice President or by a majority of the Policy Committee members.
- Membership: (1) The Region III Policy Committee will consist of six members selected by individual state associations and the Region Vice President, who will serve as chairman. (2) Ex-officio members will consist of the immediate past Region III Vice President, Region III Presidents, and Executive Directors from the individual state associations. All members are welcome to attend the Region III Policy Committee meetings.
- Term of Office: (1) The term of office for the members of the Policy Committee shall be three years: terms of office will be on a rotational basis so that two new members are selected each year. (2) A vice-chairman and a secretary shall be selected annually by the group at the first meeting of the fiscal year. (3) The vice-chairman shall preside at meetings in the absence of the Region President. (4) The term of office shall begin July 1 of the year selected. (5) The secretary shall keep accurate minutes of Policy Committee meetings and forward them to the Region Vice President.
A. Policy Committee Member Job Description
- To enhance communications between ACTE and the state associations
- To attend/participate in the Region III Policy Committee Meetings as follows:
- August Teleconference
- December Policy Committee Meeting in conjunction with ACTE Convention
- March Policy Committee Meeting in conjunction with the ACTE National Policy Seminar in Washington D. C.
- June Policy Committee Meeting in conjunction with the ACTE Region III Professional Development Conference
- To participate in any other meetings called by a majority of the Policy Committee Members
- To attend the ACTE Region III Annual Business Meeting at the ACTE Convention
- To assist in the development of the ACTE Region III Strategic Plan
- To develop policies for ACTE Region III.
- To carry out the general purposes of the ACTE and Region III.
- The term of office will be three years. Terms of office will be on a rotational basis so that two new members are selected each year. The term will start on July 1.
- A vice chair and a secretary shall be selected annually by the group at the first meeting of the fiscal year. They are usually those individuals in their last year of their term.
- One member of the committee will serve as awards chair for ACTE Region III. This person will be in their second year and serve for two years. Another member of the policy committee will serve as vice chair and will assist the awards chair for the ACTE Region III Awards committee. This person will be in their first year. When the ACTE Region III Awards chair completes their term, the vice chair will become the chair of the committee and serve for two years.
- The policy committee member from each state is responsible to make sure that each state has ACTE committee nominations at the December meeting.
- The policy committee member is responsible in making two nominations from their state each year for the Award of Merit.
- The policy committee member is responsible in making one or two nominations for the ACTE Region III Award of Excellence every six years. It is on a rotational basis (one state each year)
- The policy committee member is to promote ACTE Region III Awards. They are to communicate awards information with the committee member's state.
- The policy committee will evaluate regional award materials in August in a timely manner and return ballots to the designated Region III Awards Chair to be discussed and finalized on the August teleconference meeting.
- The policy committee member will represent their respective state on the ACTE Regional III Policy Committee.
- It is recommended that the policy committee member serve on their State Association Board and serve on their Executive Committee.
- It is recommended that the Policy Committee member be financed by their State Association Board in order that they can attend all meetings. This would include expenses not covered by the Region III budget.
- The policy committee member will put news items and/or articles regarding ACTE Region III in their newsletters.
- The policy committee member will report at the ACTE Region III Policy Committee Meetings on state activities and concerns. A procedure for this will be created for policy members to follow to develop handouts for other policy committee members.
- The policy committee member will assist in the development of the ACTE Region III budget.
- The policy committee member will be involved in legislative activities on the National and State levels. Involvement is defined as sharing information in the policy member's state as provided by ACTE and the Region III Vice President.
- It is recommended that an ACTE Region III representative not serve on an ACTE standing committee during the same calendar time as the policy committee term of office.
- Search and Nominating Committee: The Vice President shall appoint a committee consisting of one member from each state in Region III and three policy committee members for a total of nine members, to receive and recommend candidates from Region III for Region III Vice President.
- Other Region III Committees: The Vice President may appoint other committees as deemed appropriate and approved by the Region III Policy Committee.
- ACTE Standing Committees: When the Region is eligible to recommend a person for standing committee the Vice President will utilize the rotation schedule in seeking recommendations from the State Associations and Policy Committee to fill these positions. All appointments to the standing committees must be approved by the ACTE Board of Directors. The Region III rotation schedule is attached. The ACTE Standing Committees are: Awards, Bylaws, Editorial and Publications, Legislative, Membership, Diversity Action, Nominating, Professional Development, Public Information and Resolutions.
- There will be an ACTE Awards Committee. The committee will be composed of two individuals. One individual will serve as chair and the other individual will succeed other after completing the learning process. These individuals will be members of the Region III Policy Committee.
- During the ACTE Convention, the Region shall hold an official business meeting to:
- Approve Minutes of the previous meeting
- Receive the Nominating Committee report
- Receive a report from the Vice President
- Consider such action as requested by the ACTE Board of Directors
- Review the ACTE and region strategic plans
- Review proposed ACTE resolutions
- Review proposed ACTE amendments to the ACTE Bylaws
- Distribute Region III Awards
- State introductions
- VSO report
- ACTE President
- ACTE Standing Committee reports
- Professional Development conference report
- Conduct other regional business
- Members of the Region present at the business meeting shall constitute a quorum.
- The Region III Policy Committee will meet during the ACTE convention. Region III Professional Development Conference, ACTE Policy Seminar, and as deemed necessary by the Vice President.
- Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised will be used to conduct the order of business for Region III.
- An annual budget request to finance proposed regional activities shall be submitted in writing to the ACTE Executive Directors by the Vice President no later than June 30, prior to the beginning of that fiscal year. This budget shall be approved by the Policy Committee prior to submission.
- A financial report on the fiscal status of Region III shall be presented to the Policy Committee at the regularly scheduled Policy Committee meetings.
- The reimbursement policy of Region III will be consistent with the reimbursement policies of ACTE.
- Proposed amendments to the Operating Policies shall be submitted to the Vice President at least 60 days prior to the annual convention.
- The Vice President shall inform the members of the Policy Committee and the state presidents of the proposed amendments at least 45 days prior to the business meeting of the Region at the ACTE convention.
- The proposed revisions receiving a majority vote of those attending and voting at the business meeting of the Region during the ACTE convention shall become part of the Official Operating Policies of the Region.
- Changes to the Region III Operating Policies shall be submitted to the ACTE Board of Directors for approval.
GENERAL OPERATING POLICY
- If any statements of policies included in this document are in conflict with the Article of Incorporation, bylaws, or Operating Policies of the Association for Career & Technical Education, such items are null and void.
DISTRIBUTION OF POLICY
- Copies of the Region III Operating Policies shall be available for distribution to members of the Region when requested.
Adopted 8 December, 1975
Amended 5 December 1977, 7 December 1981, 9 December 1985, 7 December 1987, 3 December 1990, 7 December 1996.
Amended 4 January 1999 to include all language (ACTE) adopted at Assembly Delegates 12/99 New Orleans.
Back to Top