To bring clarity to the burgeoning conversation around high-quality CTE and help CTE educators and administrators develop and improve the quality of their CTE programs of study, ACTE has created an evidence-based framework defining high-quality CTE across 12 elements: The ACTE Quality CTE Program of Study Framework (2018 version) and a companion program self-evaluation instrument.
The program self-evaluation can be completed in print or online. If filled out online, users can receive automatically calculated scores, save and print their results, and be connected to resources for areas identified as needing improvement.
Quality CTE Program of Study Framework and Self-evaluation
- Quality CTE Program of Study Framework (2018 version)
- Self-evaluation Instrument (print)
- Self-evaluation Instrument (online)
High-quality CTE Tools Library
The following online library is one of the resources that ACTE has developed to recognize and disseminate high-quality CTE practices. Follow the links below for strategies, case studies, professional development models and toolkits to help practitioners develop and support success within each element. Additionally, ACTE is incorporating the quality framework into its efforts to recognize and disseminate CTE best practices through the ACTE awards program and CareerTech VISION programming.
12 Elements of a High-quality CTE Program of Study
- Standards-aligned and Integrated Curriculum
- Sequencing and Articulation
- Student Assessment
- Prepared and Effective Program Staff
- Engaging Instruction
- Access and Equity
- Facilities, Equipment, Technology and Materials
- Business and Community Partnerships
- Student Career Development
- Career and Technical Student Organizations
- Work-based Learning
- Data and Program Improvement
High-quality CTE Publications
High-quality CTE Micro Webinars
- High Quality CTE Programs of Study — Business and Community Partnerships
Join Donna Gilley, director of career and technical education in Nashville, Tennessee, as she discusses business and community partnership structures, how to ensure CTE programs align with the workforce and different ways businesses and communities can partner with CTE programs. Watch online seminar.
- HQ CTE Micro-webinar #2 coming soon
- HQ CTE Micro-webinar #3 coming soon