GA ACTE Presents: Empowering Students to Pursue their Career Goals Workshop
Information and Resources for School Counselors, Guidance and Career Professionals
Location: Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel and Conference Center
Date and Time: Thursday, May 2, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
This one-day workshop will provide school counselors and career counseling professionals with information and resources needed to connect students with opportunities aligned with their career passions. Participants will emerge with an enhanced knowledge of the full range of education and career options, with a specific focus on Career Technical Education (CTE) and in-demand occupations, to empower students to explore career goals as well as expand their existing strategies for effective career advisement. At the conclusion of this training, participants will be able to:
- Identify and discuss the various components and benefits of a high-quality CTE program of study, including work-based learning, industry-recognized credentials and dual/concurrent credit;
- Discuss the range of options available in CTE along with current workforce trends and know how to access information on CTE programs and the labor market in their specific state;
- Explain the value of CTE to students and parents using tested key messages;
- Assist students with career exploration and development in K-12 and identify potential strategies to implement in their community; and
- Develop strategic actions to reach students, parents, administrators, other counselors and/or other stakeholders to communicate the value of CTE
All participants are required to complete a pre- and post-workshop survey, and a third and final survey two months after the completion of the workshop. Participants enrolling in this workshop must be committed to developing strategic actions that can be implemented within two months after the workshop.