Certification Data Exchange Project
Pilot Project on Improving Data Exchange Between Industry Certification Organizations and State Education and Workforce Longitudinal Data Systems
ACTE, in cooperation with a number of national and state partners (listed below), is supporting a project to expand and improve data exchange between industry certification organizations and state longitudinal data systems.
The project is based on a multi-year roadmap for the development of a national data exchange clearinghouse that will allow states and educational institutions to gain access to data on industry-recognized certifications earned by students. Current industry partners include CompTIA and The Manufacturing Institute (an affiliate of the National Association of Manufacturers, or NAM).
The Department of Education is also interested in the development and outcome of this project. Industry certifications and licensure are a growing part of the expected outcomes of career and technical education (CTE) programs, and the Department is interested in the identification of solutions to the issues surrounding state collection of valid and reliable data.
Over the next year, ACTE will focus on raising awareness of the need for improving data exchange, and a pilot project will be conducted between states and industry partners on how data can be effectively and securely exchanged and used for the benefit of all parties. This pilot project is based on a recent Illinois and CompTIA project that demonstrated the feasibility of linking state and certification data, and states are currently being recruited to participate.
To find out more, view the documents below or e-mail ACTE.
Round 2 Invitation
States Selected for the First Round
- North Carolina
States Selected for the Second Round
States that did not get a chance to apply are welcome to observe. To learn more, contact ACTE.
Certification Project Advisory Committee
- Keith Brown, SLDS State Support Team
- Marie Buker, Department of Education
- Ross Cohen, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Christopher Coro, Department of Education
- Marty Daiga, National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation
- National Association of State Directors of CTE Consortium
- John Foster, NOCTI
- Pam Frugoli, Department of Labor
- Anne Gielczyk, Nocti Business Solutions
- Amilcar Guzman, Data Quality Campaign
- John Haigh, Department of Education
- Lisa Hudson, National Center for Education Statistics
- Gretcher Koch, CompTIA
- Stanley Koutstaal, Department of Health and Human Services
- Kate Louton, WRIS
- Mary Alice McCarthy, New America Foundation
- Jennifer McNelly, National Association of Manufacturers
- Scott Parke, Florida College System
- Tom Richardson, ASE
- Doug Shapiro, National Student Clearinghouse
- Robert Sheets, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- David Stevens, FEDES
- Roy Swift, ANSI
- Robin Utz, Department of Education
- Andy Van Kleunen, National Skills Coalition
- Andrala Walker, Department of Labor
- David Wilcox, GSX
- Nathan Wilson, Illinois Community College Board
Career and Technical Education: Five Ways That Pay Along the Way to the B.A.