Trade and Industrial Education Division
2017 T&I Award Winners
Amanda McClure, GA – T&I New Teacher of the Year
Cheryl Cooksey, OK – T&I Teacher of the Year
J. Gil Kennon, MO – T&I Lifetime Service Award
Lisa Romeiser, NY– T&I Lifetime Service Award
Back from left: John Gaal, Gil Kennon, Alex Gromada
Front from left: Lisa Romeiser, Cheryl Cooksey, Amanda McClure
Trade and Industrial Education Division Vice President
2290 South Illinois St.
Belleville, IL 62220
Phone: 618-277-2051 x5094
||Trade and industrial education prepares people for careers in a variety of trades, including carpentry, masonry, electrical and construction management; automotive technology; heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems; computer-aided drafting and manufacturing; and cosmetology. Division members are instructors of these subjects at the secondary and postsecondary levels, as well as university professors who prepare these teachers.
Congratulations to the 2017 National ACTE Award Winner from Trade & Industrial!
2017 Summer Apprenticeship Tour - Munich, Germany, June 14-21
For several years now, the US Departments of Labor and Education have touted the importance of growing registered apprenticeship programs (RAP) in the USA. Often, experts in this area cite the German model as the world’s best example for designing an effective and efficient apprenticeship system. For centuries, the German model has relied on industry-based relationships that include the secondary educational level in order to produce most of their journey-workers…which is in stark contrast to the post-secondary leanings of the +70-year old US model. This week-long tour will expose participants to these various aspects that make the German apprenticeship model the envy of the world. Participants will be able to return to their towns and upon reflection share with local leaders what does/does not work based on the gold standard of apprenticeship. As such, this tour is suited for K-20 teachers, counselors, administrators, school board members, workforce development board members, economic development and education researchers, apprenticeship coordinators/directors, and other stakeholders interested in designing, developing, and implementing a RAP at the secondary level in advanced manufacturing, construction, health care, IT, or culinary. Learn more
Congratulations to Julius Dean Baker, the 2016 Trade and Industrial Education Division Vice President Elect
Please join me in welcoming Julius Dean Baker as our VP Elect for the T&I Division. Dean will begin the Elect position on July 1st of 2016. Thank you to both Kelly Almond and Julius Dean Baker for taking a step toward leadership for our division and ACTE®.
The Trade and Industrial Education Division was created to:
- promote, at the national level, the philosophy and objectives of trade and industrial education
- influence national policy affecting trade and industrial education
- cooperate with organizations that support the philosophy and objectives of trade and industrial education
- offer greater visibility to the problems and challenges of trade and industrial educators
- promote and recognize the growth of trade and industrial education teachers in their professional development
- promote the involvement of labor and management in trade and industrial education program and services
- cooperate with federal and state authorities in promoting high standards and developing sound practices in trade and industrial education programs and services
- promote growth and development of the SkillsUSA as an integral part of trade and industrial education programs and services
- provide national meetings of trade and industrial educators and consultants for an exchange of ideas for the promotion, improvement, and expansion of trade and industrial programs and services
The ACTE Trade and Industrial Education Division is aligned with the following career clusters:
- Architecture and Construction
- Arts, A/V Technology and Communications
- Government and Public Administration
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Law, Public Safety and Security
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Transportation, Distribution and Logistics
Organizations affiliated with the Trade and Industrial Education Division:
- ASTS—Association for Skilled and Technical Sciences
- Congratulations to Dr. John Gaal for serving as the 2016 ASTS President.
Trade and Industrial Education Division Resources