ACTE Member Awards
The ACTE Member Awards recognize excellence and dedication within the field of career and technical education among our association members. Recipients of these awards are exceptional individuals who have contributed to the success of CTE through the quality of their work and their involvement in the CTE community.
There are seven Member Awards presented nationally:
ACTE Teacher of the Year—for members employed as full-time classroom/laboratory CTE teachers at the secondary school level
ACTE Career Guidance Award (sponsored by Kuder)—for members employed as full-time school counselors and/or career development professionals
ACTE Postsecondary Teacher of the Year—for members employed as full-time postsecondary CTE teachers or teacher educators
ACTE Administrator of the Year—for members employed as full-time CTE administrators, program specialists, coordinators, and all other CTE personnel and staff (not employed as teachers or guidance professionals)
ACTE New Teacher of the Year—for members employed as full-time classroom/laboratory CTE teachers (at the secondary or postsecondary level) who are new to the teaching profession (3-5 years' experience)
ACTE Carl Perkins Community Service Award—for members who have displayed a dedication to the improvement of CTE’s impact on the lives of individuals and communities
ACTE Lifetime Achievement Award—for members whose dedicated contributions have been identified with the work and purposes of the Association over an extended period of time
All candidates are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Accomplishments and innovations that exhibit the quality of the candidate for the award
- Contributions to the CTE community (can include activities within their institutions, communities, ACTE and other organizations)
For more information on how applications are scored, please see the national ACTE Member Awards Scoring Rubric.
National Member Award candidates progress through three rounds of review:
- State Round: Candidates begin the application process by nominating themselves (or being nominated by a peer) for their state award. Candidates must hold the appropriate position at the time of initial nomination (eg. be a secondary school CTE teacher if applying for the Teacher of the Year.)
- Region Round: State winners are reviewed within their Regions. All state winners must have their applications uploaded to the ACTE Awards Portal and be ACTE members by the March 1 Region deadline (nonmembers are not eligible to receive Region or national awards). Region winners are selected by their Region awards committees and announced during their Region conferences.
- National Round: Region winners' applications are forwarded to the final round of review via the Awards Portal by their Region committee chair. The national awards committee selects the national winners, which are announced at the ACTE Awards Banquet during ACTE's CareerTech VISION.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit their applications on the ACTE Awards Portal by their state deadline. A list of deadlines and awards contact persons can be found below. The application requirements can be downloaded here (note: this is not an application form. These requirements are included in the online application on the Awards Portal.)
All state winners must be promoted forward for Region consideration by March 1. Region winner selections must be made no later than July 1.
Region Award Chairs (2013-2014)
Region I: Chet Wichowski
States: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Federal Career and Technical Association, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia
Region II: Karen A. Curtis
States: Alabama, Bahamas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virgin Islands, Virginia
Region III: Deborah Diss
States: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin
Region IV: Tammie Brewer
States: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
Region V: Speranta Klees
States: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Trust Territories, Utah, Washington, Wyoming
For questions about the ACTE Member Awards, please contact ACTE staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.