Career and Technical Education Month
CTE Month® is an annual event held in February to celebrate CTE and the achievements and accomplishments of programs from across the country. CTE Month 2016, with its theme of "Opportunities for Career Success" will give you the chance to tell the stories of leadership and excellence from your community and raise awareness of the crucial role that CTE has in readying our nation students for careers and our nation for economic success.
The 2016 CTE Month Video PSA Contest is now open! These are the rules. The deadline for entry is October 30th, 2015. Winners will be selected by ACTE's Board of Directors and announced at CareerTech VISION 2015 in New Orleans, LA.
Our 2015 winners are below.
- 1st place- "CTE Innovators" by Goose Creek CISD http://actete.ch/1uwhT4X
- 2nd place- "A Thanks to Our CTE Teachers" by Clear Brook HS http://actete.ch/1teFszO
- 3rd place- "Synonyms" by Indiana County Technology Center http://actete.ch/1uRDwBR
How can I get involved with CTE Month 2016?
Great question! There are lots of opportunities, including:
You can participate in CTE Month by:
- Holding a school visit to highlight the strong programs of a local institution
- Organizing a job shadowing opportunity or career fair
- Participating in our annual PSA Video Contest or Graphic Design Contest
- Using social media to speak about strong CTE programs and the benefits of CTE
To tell your story about the innovation and leadership in your CTE classrooms, contact inform local newspapers, television stations, and radio stations and invite them to cover events such as proclamation signings, press conferences, and school visits.
Use this sample press release template to craft your own release. You can utilize our CTE Month Logo in the letterhead of your press release, and for other CTE Month-related uses as well. Please email us to let us know if you plan to use our logo or press release.
A press kit is another great tool to provide VIPs (media, policymakers, state leadership, etc.) that attend an event or visit your program with ready-to-use facts and figures about your program and the impact you are making in your community! Press kits typically are housed in a two-pocket folder, and contain basic information about your program, a tip sheet or some facts about CTE, a news release for an event if relevant, and a business card for the media contact or public outreach contact at your program or school. Be sure to include CTE Month materials such as pens or notepads, or hand them out at your CTE Month events. Below are some materials you can download to start your kit.
What Is Career and Technical Education?
CTE Today Fact Sheet
Your CTE State Profile
Learn more about getting publicity for your program.
Encourage your elected representatives, including mayors, city managers, county executives and state governors to designate February as CTE Month. You may wish to provide your leaders with a copy of this sample proclamation. (Please inform us if you plan to use our proclamation as well.) The proclamation-signing ceremony can serve as an event for local media and a photo opportunity for your school.
Learn more about establishing relationships with policymakers.
We encourage you to engage with business leaders in your area during CTE Month. Possibilities include:
- Host a career fair featuring local businesses
- Make a video profiling successful former CTE students and where they work
- Encourage local merchants to announce the date and theme on their marquees, in-store broadcast systems, electronic signs and cash register receipts
- Use the resources on our Business and Industry Partnerships page to encourage businesses to support CTE
CTE Month Success Stories
CTE Month 2015 made the news across the country.
In addition, CTE Month 2015 caught the attention of policymakers nationwide:
Check back for news about CTE Month 2016, and send any stories of your own to Kevin Oshinskie
Related upcoming events
Many of ACTE's partnering organizations will hold their own outreach events in the months to come. These organizations include:
- Careers in Construction Month