State and Regional Competitions
ACTE Teacher of the Year/ACTE Administrator of the Year/ACTE Postsecondary Educator of the Year/ACTE New Teacher of the Year/ACTE Career Guidance Award/ACTE Carl Perkins Community Service Award/ACTE Lifetime Achievement Award
To be considered for one of these awards, an applicant must first compete at the state and Region levels. Information on state competition deadlines and contacts can be found here. State winners compete within their Region. The deadline for state winners to be promoted to their Region competition is March 1.The awards chairperson for each Region and the state associations in each Region are as follows:
Region I | Region II | Region III | Region IV | Region V
Ernest H Powers
States: Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Federal Career and Technical Association, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia
Karen A. Curtis
States: Alabama, Bahamas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virgin Islands, Virginia
States: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin
States: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
Pepper B. Poulsen
States: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Trust Territories, Utah, Washington, Wyoming
Guidelines for State/Regional Awards Chairs
Winners selected at the Regional level compete for the national Teacher of the Year, Outstanding Career and Technical Educator, Outstanding New Career and Technical Teacher, Career Guidance and Outstanding Teacher in Community Service. The selection of the national winners is made by the ACTE National Awards Committee.
Guidelines for State and Regional Competitions
- Each state should have an awards committee headed by an awards chairperson. The make-up of the committee should be determined by the state.
- That committee should be responsible for selecting a state winner for each award category to represent the state in the Regional awards competition: Teacher of the Year, Outstanding Career and Technical Educator, Outstanding New Career and Technical Teacher, Outstanding Teacher in Community Service and Career Guidance.
- Only one representative from each state will compete at the Regional level for each award.
- The same evaluation form used by the National Awards Committee should be used at the state and regional levels to evaluate nominees.
- The new deadline is March 1 for states to submit their state winners for Regional consideration.
- Each state award committee chair will submit the ACTE Excellence Award application to ACTE Headquarters prior to the March 1 deadline.
Guidelines for Regional Awards Chairs
- Winners selected at the Regional level will compete for a national ACTE Excellence Member Award. The selection of the national winners is made by the ACTE National Awards Committee.
- For the sake of equity and continuity, the National Awards Committee strongly suggests that each state and Region follow the guidelines of the national competition. This will ensure that the nominee selected by the state and the Region have the best chance of competing successfully at the national level.
- Each Region award committee chair will submit the ACTE Excellence Award application to ACTE Headquarters via ACTE Awards content management system prior to the July 1 deadline. New for 2013, submissions will be through the ACTE Awards Content Management System.
- ACTE membership must be verified before the award application is submitted from Regional to national.